Would you like to join us in re-imagining museums for a sustainable future by fostering wellbeing that doesn’t cost the earth?
Museums face a host of pressing challenges – the ongoing effects of the pandemic, the cost of living crises, rising energy prices, pressure on funding streams and more. These combine with wider, deeper and accelerating challenges: the climate and ecological emergency, systemic inequality and social injustice.
At Happy Museum we see the wellbeing of people, place and planet as even more important, and at risk. This is a critical moment to re-consider the role of museums in creating a resilient and regenerative society: facing current realities whilst bringing a positive, imaginative and future-facing frame. Our manifesto can be found here.
The Steering Group helps to shape HM’s strategic direction and generate new opportunities and actively contributes to Happy Museums work through:
- Advocacy and Support, sharing the work of Happy Museum – including speaking at events, being a vocal supporter and highlighting the importance of embedding Happy Museum principles
- Creating Connections, participating in a thriving and vibrant community of practice, making links and recognising opportunities to build and develop activity
- Reflecting and Reviewing, offering practical insight and tangible applications of the Happy Museum principles.
We are keen to include:
- Members of Happy Museum’s Community of Practice
- People from beyond the sector and from different disciplines/expertise
- A diversity of age and background, and diversity of ideas and perspectives
- People from outside the UK
- An early career museum professional (we will provide mentoring support)
If you are interested in joining the Steering Group and feel you have these qualities, the document below has full details including guidance on submitting a short Expression of Interest (deadline 5th March 2023)